Sunday, June 05, 2005

the telephone conversation in which i was dumped

ashton and i had been out on monday night and had a great time. i left him a message on tuesday night saying that we should get together wednesday. i had had a really emotionally bad day at work thinking about my dad and how i don't feel safe with all the uncertainty in my life. by 9pm i still hadn't heard from ashton, he phones about 9:15. i tell him that i had a shitty day and am feeling sad and stressed but he doesn't have much to say. here's how the rest of the convo went:


ashton: so tell me what's wrong, what kind of things are stressing you out?

me: i just have really irrational fears about being abandoned right now....

ashton: do you want to 'take a break'?

me: huh? did i say that? no, i don't want to take a break! i really like you. what i would like is to know where you're at because you're so laid back (read: stoned), i'm never sure...

ashton: well, i don't think i have time to be a very good boyfriend right now...

me: what?

ashton: i mean i'm really busy with coaching soccer and i want to start playing more and that doesn't really leave time for a social life.

me: huh?....so what you're saying is that you don't want me as a girlfriend...

ashton: ummmm....

me: ....because otherwise, you'd make the time.

ashton: uhhhhh, well, and we're also at really different points in our lives....

me: what the fuck are you talking about? what point in my life am i at? do you even know? have you ever even asked me?

ashton: no, i guess not....so, uh, what point in your life are you at?

me: why bother asking since you've obviously already made up your mind?

ashton:...yeah, i guess you're right. i'm also not really over my ex-girlfriend (who dumped him in october, moved to quebec, has a new boyfriend, and he repeatedly said was bad for him)...

me: uh huh....

ashton: and we really don't have much in common....

me: what are you talking about?

ashton: well, i love watching wrestling....

me: do you think i'm so shallow that i only date people what have the exact same interests as me? people don't have to have everything in common you know.

ashton: it was going well for the first little while, then it wasn't so great.

me: not so great huh? were you planning on telling me any of this bullshit anytime soon?

ashton: well, probably in the next couple days...

me: silence.....

ashton: well, i guess this is it....

me: apparently so.

ashton: take ca....

me: hanging up on him

11 Comments:

Blogger Andi said...

What a load of bullshit. I hate that "we don't have anything in common" thing. Like wrestling is a make or breaker.

12:34 p.m.  
Blogger Osbasso said...

Thanks for the insights here. I didn't know which of the cliches or "excuses" that a putz like this would use. His mention of his ex-gf was a nice touch too. She must still have his balls dangling from her rear-view mirror. He obviously didn't have them with you.

I also like the new list of who's screwed you. Hope it doesn't get much longer...

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger yournamehere said...

Thanks for this look into the mind of a complete douchebag. Wow. His nutlessness leaves me flabergasted.

1:21 p.m.  
Blogger Ian said...

You don't like wrestling? No wonder he got fed up with you! Don't get complacent, sometimes a winning personality and being a hottie just isn't enough. You need to focus on the finer points of relationship development, such as wrestling, and learning to burp and fart like a bloke if you want to have a chance with the sensitive modern man..

6:21 p.m.  
Blogger egan said...

I can't believe you called it quits over this call. I would have fought for him because he sounds like a real keeper. Swear he didn't initiate the arm wrestling at your family's place a few weeks ago? A plus tard Ashton!

6:57 p.m.  
Blogger ago-go said...

andi, no shit! nothing in common my ass! you'd think he could come up with a better 'thing' than wrestling! if that's a good reason to dump someone, i should have dumped him the second he insulted my musical tastes! but no, i'm reasonable and see that as something that can be overlooked....the more i think about this, the more i realize how lucky i am to be rid of him...

os, i was joking with some friends yesterday that the next girl he dumps over the phone will hear "we have nothing in common...and i'm still not over my last two ex-girlfriends!"

and i too hope the list stays short!

ynh, no problem. if some good can come out of my crappy relationship, so be it. please share this knowledge with impressionable young men who don't know any better...

ian, you'd think my indifference to wrestling wouldn't be a deal breaker...but then again, he thought Paris-fucking-Hilton, human stickman, was hott, so obviously he's fucked in the head.

....sigh, i may have to revert to my plans of becoming a lesbian nun...although, every guy i've talked to about this has expressed disgust and thinks justin is a complete asswipe...so maybe there's hope for me!

and i can let out a pretty good belch!

7:03 p.m.  
Blogger Megan said...

Just remember...he was transitional, anyway. Dead before he hit the driveway.

8:13 p.m.  
Blogger Osbasso said...

The belch thing is highly underrated by women...

And while I don't find the lesbian nun thing disgusting, I would find it as a waste of talent. As would Steph and Andi, I believe!

8:51 p.m.  
Blogger Kristina said...

Whoa. That's a horrible way to end a relationship! At least he didn't drag on for a 'few more days' as planned. As tough as it always is, it's worse to wait it out. I am sorry and I hope that you are feeling better with all of this.

12:40 a.m.  
Blogger Kristina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:40 a.m.  
Blogger ago-go said...

polly, pansy is right!

kristina, i'm doing fine and am very thankful that he didn't drag it out too. and i think the bad karma from the rude dumping is starting...the word is circulating among the extended group of friends and people are none too pleased. he'll get his.

12:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home